End of an Era: Mrs. Vegas Retires

Drake Pacheco, Staff Writer

It’s an end of an era at Saint Louis as we shine  the spotlight on Mrs. Nani Vegas. 

“I was born and raised in Kailua. I have three sisters and although we did not have brothers, my father (‘55 SLS) made sure we all were active in sports. My youngest sister and I played Softball for the University of Hawaii at Manoa in the late 80s and that was one of the most memorable years of my young life. I earned my bachelor’s degree in education and was blessed to meet the man who is now my husband in college. We have three children Taimane (age 30), Kurt Louis  (age 26), and Rhyan (age 22), and one granddaughter, Charley, who will be 2 in March” said Mrs. Vegas.

While teaching here at Saint Louis, Vegas has taught all over campus as a classroom teacher in both middle and high school. Now, she serves as the Publications teacher and Student Activities Coordinator. 

“I began teaching at Saint Louis in 2004 and I am celebrating my 30th year in Catholic Education. I have had the opportunity to teach at all grade levels at Saint Louis and have found them all very rewarding,” says Vegas.  “I feel that I am in my element when teaching boys how they learn best. The culture, environment and yes the Brotherhood are three of the many reasons I love teaching here. Unless you are around it and witness it firsthand, no one would ever understand the power of the Saint Louis Brotherhood.”

For Vegas, her time at Saint Louis has allowed her to guide young men in a variety of ways.  “It is what makes me proud, what allows me to continue to empower the young men in my care to be humble, kind, and selfless in all that they do. It is those intangible things that no one can take from them. At the end of the day, it will not be your grades, awards, or championships that count, rather it will be what positive impact you leave and your character that will count and live on through your brothers” explains Vegas.

At Saint Louis things are done differently because we cherish the ability to create lasting moments that are exclusive to the brotherhood. Many of our favorite moments are created throughout the school and include both students and staff and Mrs. Vegas has overseen many of these events.

“There are many favorite moments at Saint Louis, but some of my favorites are when students leave a Homecoming event, school dance, assembly or a ‘brotherhood’ event with new memories that will last a lifetime. These are the greatest times of their lives. For them to be able to continue to look back on them and talk about it makes me so happy” recalls Mrs. Vegas.

With all that being said, Vegas looks to the future.  “At the end of this school year I will be moving to the State of Washington to be closer to my two daughters and my granddaughter. I am hopeful that I will be able to find a coaching opportunity there. Whether it be mentoring teachers, coaches, or getting back into coaching, it will be a semi- retirement for me. Coaching never seemed like a job. It has always been my passion” explains Mrs. Vegas.

“I can’t forget the main reason for this change in my life. Being a grandmother is the most exciting part of my new journey. I love being Mimi and can’t wait to spend more time with my granddaughter.”  We wish Mrs. Vegas our very best!