New Faces Adjust to Kalaepōhaku

Photo taken by Tamarick Hallums

Tamarick "Maika" Hallums, Feature Writer

It’s been two months since the St. Louis School year has begun. St. Louis has added 52 new students who have had to adjust to a new environment and a new school. The new students on Kalaepohaku is diverse in many ways such as recent schools, cultures, home location, and much more. However, the idea of a lifetime brotherhood and a quality Catholic education is what unites all these new students.

One of the new students that has recently enrolled into the school is Malosi Sam. Malosi recently attended Our Lady of Perpetual Help School in Ewa Beach and he currently resides in Kapolei. Malosi is a standout running back on the Junior Varsity Football Team and looks to join the Baseball Team later on in the school year. Adjusting to St. Louis after being at his old school for a numerous amount of years has been a great experience for him. “Adjusting wise, I had to adjust to the new school, new people, no girls around, and new backgrounds, but being here at St. Louis so far has been good”, said Malosi. This early in the school year, Malosi has been able to see the most important concept at St. Louis, which is the concept of brotherhood. “Over here, brotherhood means a lot to the St. Louis boys, brotherhood isn’t just a word over here, it’s an action, St. Louis is the meaning of brotherhood, we will always help each other out and respect one another”, said Malosi. 

brotherhood means a lot to the St. Louis boys, brotherhood isn’t just a word over here, it’s an action, St. Louis is the meaning of brotherhood,

— Malosi Sam

Photo taken by Tamarick Hallums

Another new student that recently enrolled in the school as a senior is Dre Carter. he just recently moved to Hawaii after residing in Texas and Georgia for most of his life. Adjusting to the school has been going well for Dre, he attended Catholic schools in the mainland so he is aware of some the morals and activities that Catholic schools like St. Louis like to do. “I’m adjusting just well, it’s kind of like my old school just no girls obviously, but we would always pray before class and stand up from our seat when adults came into the classroom and so it’s almost the same as my old school”, said Dre. What he also sees the the concept of brotherhood of St. Louis all around him as he says, “I see brotherhood everywhere, I would always see people approach me and tell me hey brother and wassup brother, and i can also see the bond that the boys over has”. Dre is looking to join the swimming team and is also looking to joining various extra curricular activities.