MENU

Anti-Bullying Guest Speaker Event

During the second week of November, a guest speaker was brought in for the junior and senior class. She was meant to talk about the Anti Bullying epidemic happening around the nation. This was affiliated with our school due to the bullying happening around campus. She is a judge on the island of Oahu, that graduated from the University of Hawaii. Her main focus was to talk about the issue going on about bullying. Unfortunately, her main statement tended to be more focused on the overall picture of sports. She spoke about how sports are just a game and have no value, compared to other professions. This was misinterpreted by the students, causing havoc in the Chaminade Hall. It got so bad that the staff had to intervene with the situation. The speaker also addressed on another point, talking about the use of drugs and alcohol. Relating back to her anti-bully main point, on how the use of substances isn’t an excuse for violent behavior acting on a person. After the speaker’s speech, the staff had to talk to the upperclassmen about their immature behavior.

Many students were offended by the speaker’s opinion about the overall view of sports. She stated how sports had no value in the real world compared to other professions. Many students viewed her point in a different way, the majority were furious about her comments. Josh Kam addressed his view on the situation, “She has no right to talk down about sports, especially since our school has a strong sports background. I was personally offended because I run for our school cross country team.

Sports in general taught me moral values in life, by keeping me away from illegal substances and helping me staying on track in school.”

— Joshua Kam

I personally believe sports has a purpose; keeping kids busy by having fun and creating bonds.” The overall impression of the event was a disaster and chaotic. If we were to have another guest speaker, hopefully we don’t experience the same mishap that happened at this assembly.