A little blood impacts lives

By the Blood Bank of Hawaii

By the Blood Bank of Hawaii

Donating blood is an opportunity that presents itself to students throughout the school year. For every pint of blood that is donated by each student, three lives can be saved. Having the students and faculty participate is important and this activity displays the type of character that the people at Saint Louis are expected to hold.

The impact of donating blood is a huge aspect for those who are suffering and need the pint of blood to survive. Mrs. Vegas, a faculty member and teacher at Saint Louis states that “the blood drive is important to everybody, the blood donations is not just for people who need blood transfusions, it’s for cancer patients, the people involved in accidents, and many more instances, but giving blood is huge.” An abundant amount of students participated in this event to donate blood, among those in attendance was Logan Aiu, a Junior here at Saint Louis, who realizes the importance of each student donating blood can have in the world. He says “I think that it’s not only important to Saint Louis, but it’s important to the whole world, I feel that there are people who need help and helping them is just an awesome feeling.”

the blood drive is important to everybody, the blood donations is not just for people who need blood transfusions, it’s for cancer patients, the people involved in accidents, and many more instances, but giving blood is huge

— Mrs. Vegas

The blood drive also gives opportunities for the students to realize that a small service acts like this can change lives. Mrs. Vegas says “the students will understand the process to give blood, that it doesn’t give much effort to give blood, but it speaks volume for that person to pay it forward and if they can learn that lesson of giving selflessly that they will continue to give blood.” Most of the students who donate blood, participate every time there is a blood drive at school. Logan Aiu has given blood two times this year, he says “I enjoy giving blood because there are people who are suffering in the world that need blood, and giving them the positivity of knowing it’s going to help someone is satisfying.”

Photo Courtesy of Department of Education