Tracks Final Strides

Roman Wilson puts his foot on the gas.

Kainalu Reyes Hackney, Sports Writer

Josh White with the perfect form.

As the school year comes to a close, so is the track season. With a team full of talent and blazing speed, the Crusaders look to throttle past opponents for the state title. The Crusaders already have 7 student-athletes qualified for states and are hoping for a handful of others to make the cut before the last day to qualify, May 7th.

Senior Mitchell Quinn, has already qualified for states in five events, the triple jump, long jump, 100m, 200m, and the 4×100, and looks to place 1st in almost all events for both ILH and States. Roman Wilson and Korvin Feagins also qualified for the 100m for states. Wilson, who challenges Quinn in this event, looks to be the favorite to win the ILH and states title. Regardless he will be a huge contributor to the team’s chances of winning the overall state title. Sophomore Kamoi Latu also qualified for states in the triple jump, and is likely to place right behind Mitchell Quinn for both ILH and States. On the field side, Senior Josh White has already qualified for states in the shot put and is going to be a big factor in how well the team does in states.

The 4×100 team that qualified for states of course includes Mitchell Quinn, but also includes a number of underclassmen including track stars Korvin Feagins, Roman Wilson, and freshman Keanu Wallace. Trenton Wailehua is another younger student-athlete who has qualified for states in the 400m and always is a favorite to place high for the Crusaders. The trackside has tons of talent heading into states and may still have two more athletes enter, senior Zhane Holloway, who runs in many of the events, and Junior Micah Tapua, who runs and jumps. If all these young men compete at states, the Crusaders will have a solid shot at running home with the state title.