Featured Teacher – September 2017

Barrett Smith

The teacher chosen for the month for September 2017 is Mr. Kane. He has received this award for being an outstanding teacher here at Saint Louis for many years. From teaching freshmen in History class to coaching the varsity soccer team Mr. Kane is an amazing teacher in all aspects. Mr. Kane was selected because he is well rounded, and he is willing to go above and beyond of just being a normal teacher. He truly reaches out to his students in the classroom and on the field through his many life lessons.

In his history class, he connects with his students by involving them in following and responding to current events every single day. Every year he assigns a project where students map out the Hawaiian Islands, weave a miniaturized canoe, and make a list of items they will need to survive the journey from island to island. This project gives students an opportunity to place themselves in the perspective of someone living in the 1800s. It is a chance for them to see what the technology was like in the past and then compare it to our modern day advancements.

When it comes to the field, he lead the varsity to the State Championship coming up short looking to make a comeback with the same team that got them there. These are only a few examples on why Mr.Kane is our “featured teacher” and I know he will continue to touch the lives of many more generations of Saint Louis men.