Crusaders Capture ILH DII Volleyball Championship

Drake Pacheco, Staff Writer

Saint Louis Crusaders are the ILH DII Volleyball Champions. The fighting Crusaders were battling this year posting a record of 9-5 in league play and 12-6 overall. They were led by senior captains Skyler Luyt, Davion Fitchett-Grance, and Andrew Muragin.

All three seniors brought something special to the team. Their leadership and all-around play is what sparked the Crusaders to capture an ILH Championship. Starting off season, the Crusaders were hot, winning their first three games of the season.  The team went 4-5 for the next 9 games, before heading into the playoffs. 

Throughout the rest of the season, they swept through, winning four straight and capturing the ILH DII Volleyball Championship. “The season went very well. We proved everyone wrong, and we won the ILH against all odds,” notes Senior Middleblocker, Skyler Luyt. 

Senior Andrew Muragin was a workhorse this year as the team’s “kill leader”. However, this year, Saint Louis also had a “dark-horse” with 6’3” Freshmen Outside Hitter, Pupu Sepulona, who provided additional power for the Crusaders. “Pupu just comes into games [and] provides that energy and power we need to close sets,” explains Muragin. Sepulona showed up when the team needed him the most, by sealing the game-winning-block to help advance the Crusaders into the playoffs. “My role was the sixth man. I went into the game. I did my job by getting kills and blocks,” notes Sepulona. 

After capturing the ILH DII Championship, the Crusaders were on a quest for a State title. They fought all the way until falling to the D2 OIA Volleyball Champs, the Pearl City Chargers, who eventually went on to win the DII State Volleyball Championship. “Competing in states was so fun and exciting. It was something that I will never forget and something that I will cherish in my heart forever” said Skyler Luyt.