Class of 2023 celebrates at the Senior Luau!

Connor McIntosh, Staff Writer

As the school year winds down and graduation nears, the Class of 2023 celebrated with their annual Senior Luau.  On April 30th,  107 seniors gathered in the Clarence T.C Ching Athletic Center with family and friends to enjoy Hawaiian food and live entertainment.

Planning for this year’s Luau began immediately after last year’s event .   What made this Luau so special, in addition to celebrating without Covid-19 restrictions, was the assemblage of the entire Class of 2023 division together with their families.  “My vision for our luau was to keep it intimate for the family,” explained Senior Co-Divisional Coordinator, Loraine Perez.  “I really wanted something that you all would enjoy along with your parents.”  

At the Luau, seniors and class of 2023 advisors(homeroom teachers) dressed up in their custom Aloha shirts, which are given to every senior class to use during special occasions.  As everyone entered, families were greeted with a custom salt making station.  Each family got to make their own salt and bring it home with them.  This activity was, not only the first of its kind, but a celebration of the school’s Aina-based program, at the Senior Luau.  “The salt making station was something I wanted [seniors] to do with and for [their] family,” notes Perez.  “I wanted [the seniors] to take it home as a reminder to stay humble, stay honest, and to remember who [they] are.”  

The Brotherhood theme was shown very strongly throughout the night.  It’s true in the sense that the Brotherhood remains strong even after leaving the slopes of Kalaepōhaku.  For instance the pupus (appetizers) for the night were provided and served by members of the Crusader Class of ‘75.  

“I think that one of the missions of the Class Of ‘75 is to be able to help and support their younger brothers,” explained Student Activities Coordinator and teacher, Tasha Castro. “ Our ‘75 alumni  held a breakfast for the class of 2025 and also  helped at our Grape Escape event.  This class really prides itself on being able to serve others,” notes Castro.  

Renowned musician, Josh Tatofi performs for the seniors and their families at the Senior Luau.

Not only was the Brotherhood expressed through the pupus, but also through the delicious Hawaiian food provided by Kanak Attack II, another company affiliated with Crusader alumni.

While enjoying the “ono grindz,”  the Class of 2023 and guests enjoyed the melodious sounds of Kaleo Kapua and Josh Tatofi.  “Seeing and meeting someone whose music I listen to a lot was a memorable experience,” shared senior Robert Ephrem.

The evening ended, as with all events at Saint Louis, with the singing of the school’s alma mater.

And as  the Class of 2023 prepares to move on to the next chapter of their lives, the Senior Luau allowed everyone to have the opportunity to celebrate  together before going their separate ways.  

Perhaps the Luau marked the beginning of the end of the Class of 2023’s high school years.  “The Luau made me think about [when] I was a freshman [and had]  just met these people.  Now I’m lucky enough to call them my close friends,” notes  Ephrem.

But no matter where we go, the BROTHERHOOD will always be the tie that binds us together in the years to come.