The Collegian

• The Voice of Kalaepōkahu

The Collegian

The Collegian

Polls

Would you ever consider joining the L.I.F.E. Team?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Taking Homecoming to the Next Level

Crusader and Sacred Hearts L.I.F.E. Team members open the Homecoming Festivities.

Both Saint Louis Activities Coordinators, Teuila Tauaese, and Tasha Castro, have been preparing for this year’s Homecoming Week since the end of last year’s Homecoming.  Their goal continues to focus on  improving each year for students, staff and returning Crusader alumni.

In mid-September, Tauaese and Castro began the final stages of preparing for their second year as coordinators of the annual Homecoming festivities at Saint Louis School. “For it being our first time and for us having to transition from a football Homecoming to basketball Homecoming I think that it went really well and I was really happy to see how excited everyone got”

Last year, both Tauaese and Castro began coordinating Homecoming events for the first time. As they moved into their second year, they used their previous experiences to improve the Homecoming Week experience. ““This year is more stressful because we are giving a nod to the past by utilizing the former tradition from the 70s and 80s of creating ‘Spirit Scenes’ during homecoming week,” Tauaese explains. “Each Spirit Scene is gonna be eight feet tall and about five feet wide, so it is definitely more challenging than painting the banner.”

Castro looks to the senior class for leadership throughout Homecoming week.  “I think every senior class is different and we don’t really come in with any expectations for each class so for me, it would be that the seniors do their best,” explains Castro, “and have fun since this is the last Homecoming that they will have with their class. My advice for the senior class is to use your voice to know what you wanna do and create memories that will last a lifetime for yourself.”

After looking back at the success of coordinating their first homecoming, Castro and Tauaese immediately looked forward to the goals for this year’s Homecoming festivities. Castro said, “At the end of the day, we just want all of our football players to know that we love them, we support them, we got their back, no matter what.”