The Collegian

• The Voice of Kalaepōkahu

The Collegian

The Collegian

Polls

Would you ever consider joining the L.I.F.E. Team?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

First Mass Opens School Year

a celebration of faith and Marianist education
The school gathers regularly for mass and to celebrate the traditions of a Marianist education.

The First Mass of the school year kicked off in August.  Mass is a tradition at Saint Louis School, built on the Marianist principles which are an important part of the school, with this Mass celebrating the Feast Day of Saint Louis. 

“It was dedicated to Saint Louis because that was the day the church tradition says that Saint Louis of France had died,”  said Brother Brandon Alana S.M., a member of the Society of Mary (S.M) or a Marianist Brother at Saint Louis School. 

In celebration of Saint Louis of France, students, staff and our Marianist Brothers assembled in the Clarence T.C. Ching gym with worship and songs. “Saint Louis of France happens to be both our namesake and our Patron Saint,” explains Alana. Built into the culture of the School, the mass is an important part of a Marianist education.   

Since the school was founded by the Marianist brothers in 1846, as a Marianist Catholic school, prayer has always played an important role in the building blocks of Saint Louis School.  “This Mass fits into the cultures at Saint Louis,” says Alana, “precisely because it is one of the pillars of our Marinaist Education, Characteristics of Marianist Education that Faith Formation and Formation of the whole person is both mind body and spirit.” 

These Pillars have built an opportunity for the young men of Kalaepohaku to grow in their faith.  “The Mass is important to our Marianist Education because it gives everyone a time to learn about God and his Works,” shares Senior and LIFE Team member, Rex Pagurigan, “and how he helped others in growing their faith.”

The Mass also connects students to another part of the Saint Louis culture, with a focus on developing the “Brotherhood” within the student body. The “Brotherhood” connects all past and present Crusaders together through Faith and Worship. 

“As a campus community of young men, you know we play together and learn together,” explains Alana, “and I suspect praying together is one of those elements that helps bind us together.”  

It also provides the school community with an opportunity to connect with one another from the elementary school to the senior class. “Mass brings us all together physically,” notes Pagurigan, “and the elementary kids are there so I think it is a great way for everyone to see each other, especially across the bleachers….” 

Mass at Saint Louis is a tradition that remains a constant part of what it means to be a Crusader. It continues to impact the students of Kalaepohaku through Faith and Brotherhood.  “We are singing, we are unified and… praising the Lord together.” says Pagurigan.