The Collegian

• The Voice of Kalaepōkahu

The Collegian

The Collegian

Polls

Would you ever consider joining the L.I.F.E. Team?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Crusaders and Lancers travel on a Pacific Northwest College Adventure

Saint Louis School students were given the opportunity to have a college experience, visiting West Coast colleges and universities, as well as the University Of Hawaii at Mānoa.

Students from Saint Louis School and Sacred Hearts Academy travel each year to see the schools.

Coordinated by SLS College and Career Counselor, Keenan Meyer, followed by Mr. Takemoto and Sacred Hearts Academy, College Counselor, Sharleen Chock. As a College counselor at Saint Louis, Keenan Meyer goes over and beyond and takes students on college Visits.  “I reached out to the University of Hawaii at Manoa (UHM) Admissions team to coordinate a campus visit. They put us on their schedule and said that they could only accommodate 35 students for each campus tour,” says Meyer. “I sent out an email to all juniors and seniors with a Google form attached and whoever signed up in the first 35 slots were able to go.”

Meyer provides students with information about colleges which helps students with the selection process. “Knowing what college is like beforehand can be helpful for many reasons,” says Meyer. “You may have a preference while in high school on what you want and are looking for in a school.” 

Students who attended the UHM visit, had the opportunity to experience college life in Hawaii. like Branden Cote talks about a variety of things that the University has to offer. “My experience visiting UH was good. It was informative, we learned about all the different majors and all the different opportunities that you can get at UHM,” says senior Branden Cote. “The actual tour itself was really fun. The main takeaway from the visit was to keep home [as a] consideration for college. Even though going to the mainland for college sounds fun, it’ll always be good to stay home.” 

The students visiting the Pacific Northwest universities had a somewhat different experience. “My favorite school I visited was University of Oregon because my brother goes there; but overall, the school feels like home to me,” shares Chase. “Going to the college benefited me because it gave me a point of view on how college life really is and what to expect when going.”