Videography But No Cameras?

One of the classes offered at St. Louis this year is Videography. The class is for students who want to learn about the filming process as well as filming techniques. The class was taught by Mr. Christian in previous years but this year the class was taken over by Mr. Leopoldino who is a new teacher this school year.

The class at the moment has computers for editing but does not currently have other equipment like cameras or tripods. While the majority of the class has phones with cameras that can record in high quality not everyone has that luxury. For the people who don’t have a camera that can record in HD quality, it can be difficult for them to make a good looking video. I spoke with Adrian Bates-Domingo, a student in the class, about how equipment like cameras and tripods would help better the experience of students enrolled in the class. He stated that “Cameras would help everyone achieve the same level of quality in their videos, especially for those whose phone does not have a high end camera. Tripods would be helpful to everyone so they do not have to freehand when they are filming.” I also asked him if better editing software outside of Imovie would be beneficial to the class. He said “Imovie can be very limited in terms of effects and the ability to place text on screen. For a recent project I had to use other online resources to edit my video the way I wanted.” I spoke with other students in the class about the need for cameras and they all agreed that getting cameras would improve the quality of student pieces.

After speaking with Adrian, I had the chance to speak to Mr. Leopoldino about his plans for the class as the year moves forward. I learned that the class has a budget that will be used for equipment. Mr. Leopoldino said “Dr. Medeiros is on board with us buying cameras for the class and I fully intend on buying cameras in the future.” I also asked him if he thought the addition of cameras would help better the experience of those in the class. He stated “I think that cameras will enhance students experience in the class. It will help them rise to the occasion and help them create quality work, getting them excited for the craft.” Hopefully with the addition of cameras in the future, videography students will become more engaged win the craft of filmmaking.