The Courtyard Bash is not Trash

Each month our executive student council puts together a courtyard bash where different clubs and grades are able to sell food items in order to fundraise. On October 26th we had a bash where pizza, ice cream, and tea from ‘Tea Girls’ was sold. This bash also featured a new attraction, the raffle: two 25 dollar gift cards were raffled off, one to middle school and one to high school. However, despite the delicious food and raffle prizes, the bash turned out to only be fun for our younger brothers. Each month so far we have had flocks of middles schoolers show up during their lunch but only a few high schoolers come during their lunch. If these bashes are so popular with middle school, why is there such a poor turnout from high school?

After a discussion with Mrs. Vegas, director of student activities, I learned that by the time high school lunch came around, all the food was already sold out. Hui bought over 40 full pizzas, and the middle schoolers still managed to eat all but four. If the main attraction for these bashes is to be able to get food one would normally not be able to get on campus, then why would high schoolers show up when there is no food left? This is a problem that needs to be fixed, and our executive student council may have found the answer.

Our November bash is going to have both middle school and high school lunch combined creating an hour long lunch break on that day. This will allow both middle schoolers and high schoolers to get food before it all sells out. Also, we will be expanding our raffle; not only will more gift cards be raffled off, but this month we are expecting to raffle off some crusader pride bags, and even free dress days to a few lucky winners. The rules for the raffle will be the same; middle school and high school will have separate raffles and in order to enter the raffle, you must find the new location of the raffle ticket on The Collegian website.