Kalaepōhaku’s Gift of Life

Eliki Tanuvasa, Feature Editor/Writer

Saint Louis School teamed up with The Blood Bank of Hawaii to help others in need. The Saint Louis blood drive was held on Monday October 23. This is the second year that Saint Louis is hosting this life saving event. This year the blood drive was once again held on campus inside the LTC Presidential Suite. Giving blood is truly a life saving act of kindness that Saint Louis was once again proud to host.

Students that took the time to be donors all gave one pint of blood. One pint of blood will save three different lives. Each student had to complete a private background check and a blood test before giving blood. The blood test is used to make sure you have a healthy iron level and blood pressure.

The goal for this year was to attain 50 pints of blood. At the end of the day, we received 52 pints in all. A total of 71 people were signed up for this years blood drive, but unfortunately not all were able to donate. There were 18 people that were deferred for health reasons and there were 14 people that did not show up. Luckily there were 11 walk-ins who were able to help achieve the goal of 50 pints. Surprisingly there were a total of 28 first time donors this year.

The men of Kalaepōhaku had a chance to be their own heroes.

This whole blood drive was set up and anchored by Mrs. Vegas and her leadership class. Mrs. Vegas did the very first blood drive last year all by herself. This year she had help from her leadership class. They promoted, educated, and scheduled the other students who donated blood this year. This year’s blood drive was a great success and had the best turnout yet. Mrs. Vegas and her leadership class would like to thank all the students who donated their time to be a hero. Mrs. Vegas would like to have another blood drive this year, possibly next semester.