Crusader Volleyball Team With a Fresh Start

Chord Medeiros, Sports Writer

Coming off their second straight losing season, the Crusader volleyball team is looking to turn around the program this year. In order to do so, the Crusaders made a few big changes this offseason. One of the first moves was finding a brand new coaching staff. After reviewing many interviewees and applications, the Crusaders decided to name Wollete Lum as the new head of the program. Coach Wollete has coached at many different volleyball programs including Aiea, Radford, Saint Francis and many more. Also, the Crusader volleyball team has now moved down to the ILH Division II. With this move, the Crusaders can get back to their winning ways, and train for the future years, just like the Saint Louis soccer team did a couple years ago. On top of this, the Crusader volleyball team surrendered a mere three seniors to graduation last season, one of the lowest rates in the state. The team also has many returnees from last season including starting outside hitter Brian Cox (sophomore), starting middle Isaiah Filisi (junior), starting setter Charles Lavoie (junior), and starting libero Chord Medeiros (senior). With many of the starters gaining Division I experience last year, this team has a chance to be very competitive, and even make a run for the Division II title.

Day one of tryouts will be held on Monday (2/5/18) at McCabe Gym from 5:30-7:00pm. The second day of tryouts will be on Friday (2/9/18) at McCabe Gym from 5:30-7:00pm also. The final day of tryouts will be on Saturday (2/10/18) at McCabe Gym from 8:00-10:30am, where final cuts will be made.