A Middle School Valentines

Saint Louis’ annual Valentine’s dance was held solely for middle school students this year due to the fact that both Senior and Junior proms are coming up quite soon. The dance took place February 17th (the first Saturday after Valentine’s day) and there was a great turn out. We had most of the Saint Louis Middle school show up as well as an equal amount of students from other schools. Surprisingly most of those outside students were girls! For a middle school dance held at an all boys school this is highly unusual. The dance ran from 6pm to 9pm in McCabe gym and Saint Louis’ executive student council, with the help of Mrs. Vegas, were in charge of the whole dance; including music, snacks, admissions, and even a free photo booth.

The dance started as one would expect a middle school dance to be, all the girls on one side of the gym and all the boys on the other side. However as the night went on and the gym got darker the groups grew closer together on the dance floor. And by the time the sun had completely set, with the help of songs like The Electric Slide and La Macarena, both boys and girls were dancing in unison. By 8:55pm all of the students were moved outside to their waiting parents.

Top to bottom the middle school dance was a major hit. Far more people showed up than our past high school dances. The music was also a big hit as well as the free snacks and photobooth. All of the students who were asked about the dance enjoyed it and want another one before the end of this school year.