Saint Francis Closure almost Inevitable

Saint Francis Closure almost Inevitable

Jonah Kea, News Reporter

Sadly, after almost one-hundred years of educating the youth of Hawaii, Saint Francis School will be closing its middle and high school doors. Saint Francis had been experiencing many problems and struggling financially. Board members intend on keeping preschool through sixth-grade operational, but if enrollment goal is not met, they will have no choice but to close Saint Francis for good.

Saint Francis has a rich history in Hawaii. Saint Francis was founded as a Catholic high school for girls in 1924. The School added lower grades in the early 1990s and started to admit boys in 2006.

The total enrollment of Saint Francis is 447, 315 of which are in 7th grade and up. Saint Francis currently employs 68 faculties and staffs and has a low student-teacher ratio of 7-to-1.

Saint Francis has a low tuition rate compared to other private schools on the island but has been able to accommodate through financial help from the Sisters of Saint Francis from the Neumann Communities. However, the sisters cannot afford to assist the school after this year. Despite the low tuition rate, 60% of students are on scholarship or some other private assistance. Parents and guardians are now scrambling to find other schooling options for their children.

Randall Yee, chairman of the school board, acknowledges the lack of nuns who serve the school as a component of financial difficulties. Sister Joan of Arc Souza, who was the previous head of school for 27 years, was removed and urged to retire by an official from the Sisters of Saint Francis from the Neumann Communities based out of Syracuse, New York.

At this point, Casey Asato, the new head of School, is trying to save the school from closure but their main problem, time, is not on their side. Hopefully, with help from the board and other contributors, Asato can save Saint Francis and continue its long legacy.