2019 U.S. Army All-American Bowl

2019 U.S. Army All-American Bowl

Makana Ontai, Writer

Football has been, and always will be apart of the American way. Not only is it enjoyable to watch but it brings families together, and sparks friendly competition. In modern America football isn’t just a sport anymore, its an industry, and The U.S. Army All-American Bowl is apart of that. If you are not aware of what the U.S. All-American Bowl is, it is an all-star football game that is represented by the top high school players throughout the nation.

This game gives kids the opportunity for exposure in front of division 1 schools, like Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, etc. It gives the kids a chance to play the sport they love at a higher level while at the same time giving them the opportunity to get a degree.

This year the All-American Bowl was held on January 5, in San Antonio Texas. There are two teams the East and the West, and two Hawaii kids participated in the event. Enock Vimahi who is an uncommitted offensive lineman from Kahuku, and our one and only Faatui Tuitele, currently committed to the University of Washington and attending Saint Louis School. Both of them were on the West team.

The game was a complete blowout with the final score being 48-14 with the east team demolishing the west. This game is a way for some of the best athletes in the nation to compete against one another. Without this game some of these kids would not get the opportunity to showcase their talents, they would be left in the shadows, forgotten.

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter if you win or lose, but rather the life lessons and character that you build. You learn how to work hard, stay committed, be dedicated, all these things that will help shape you into the person you want to be. All these athletes who competed in this event know what it takes to be the greatest and the best. You can’t just wake up and expect to be good. You have to put in the time and the work. Every single one of these kids who played in this game got there for a reason.