The Collegian

• The Voice of Kalaepōkahu

The Collegian

The Collegian

Polls

Would you ever consider joining the L.I.F.E. Team?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Yim focuses on the “Brotherhood” Culture

For Spencer Yim, “Brotherhood” is more than a word, it’s a tradition – a tradition he wants to ensure continues into the future.

Yim, a Saint Louis graduate from the Class of 1999, is looking to maintain and continue to develop the “brotherhood” culture as the new Dean of Students. 

Yim previously served as the FreshmanAlgebra 1 teacher , which he enjoyed dearly. “I miss the classroom,” says Yim, when asked about his time as a math teacher. “Just the interacting with the students, you get closer, you form better relationships with the students.”

Yim’s main objective in his role as the new Dean of Students is to maintain the culture at Saint Louis School. As a student at Saint Louis, the school culture and pride were an important part of what it meant to be a Crusader. He hopes to work with  the school’s Administration to identify elements of the school’s history to maintain and develop, along with ensuring continued progress into the future. “If progress means forgetting about where we come from, I’m against that,” explains Yim. “I want to maintain what we have, take what we have from the past and move forward.” 

Yim credits his success and work ethic to Mr. Christopher Casupang (‘87), another former Crusader who now serves as the Director of Campus Ministry for the school. Yim believes that every student needs an older adult mentor in their life, and Casupang played that role in his life. “He was always like, ‘Hey, what’s up?’” Yim recalls what Casupang did for him. “He was an ear and a shoulder that listened. He talked me through things, and that was big for me.”

Saint Louis’ High School Principal, Tim Los Banos, has nothing but praise for the new Dean of Students. “There’s certain values they (alumni) expect out of Saint Louis,” says Los Banos. “He has that, and he will carry it through to the students. From the years he was here, [we’re] talking twenty years ago, it was a totally different landscape and environment,” adds Los Banos. “The social environment, the behavior environment, the education environment are all very different. I think he can bring continuity here.”

Above all things, Yim’s final comment says it all:  “Always be mindful and faithful.”  A true Crusader.