The Collegian

• The Voice of Kalaepōkahu

The Collegian

The Collegian

Polls

Would you ever consider joining the L.I.F.E. Team?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Crusaders take a Sneak Peak at the Annual College Fair

High School students and their families from across the state attend the event each year to gather information on colleges and universities.

Every October, selected Saint Louis Seniors and Juniors attend the College Fair at the Hawaii Convention Center. 

The National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACA) and the Hawaii Association for College Admission Counseling (HACAC) sponsored the event and invited students, their families and the public to attend the event. “I would like students to go to the college fair to not only meet with the admission reps,” explains College Counselor, Keenan Myers, “but to also broaden their horizons and learn about other colleges and universities throughout the continent and internationally.” 

The college fair doesn’t just help the students but also the college counselors and administration. “The College Fair helps college counselors by having the college reps walk through the admissions process of the first year students,” says Myers. “College counselors are also able to build relationships with them to better understand and assist the students.” 

Trust Alaka’i Humalon, a senior student who went to the College Fair. “I would recommend it because you learn more about colleges, and you can experience more things about college life,” says Humalon. “Something I learned from attending the college fair was more about the student life, the first year program and how college students live and experience.”

For many, the College Fair is a great experience and an opportunity to find colleges that have your interest and learn more about college life. “College life sounds fun, they have a lot to offer, some colleges get artists to perform at the college and there’s a lot of clubs you can join to help make your college life memorable,” Humalon explained.

Kaimana Henriques, another senior student who attended the College Fair. “Some colleges on the Continent cater to Hawaii students. They try to dorm you with people you are familiar with or people that come from where you come from. They offer clubs that are run by the students to help you feel more connected like you’re at home.”Henriques explained.

Not only does the College Fair give us a better understanding of prospective colleges; it also encourages students to consider what interests them and why they should attend their college. “The majority of the colleges talked about what they had to offer academically and their first-year program.”Henriques explained.