The Collegian

• The Voice of Kalaepōkahu

The Collegian

The Collegian

Polls

Would you ever consider joining the L.I.F.E. Team?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Crusader Community rallies to support Mālama Maui Fire Relief

Saint Louis teachers Teuila Tauaese and Geordan Hanohano, along with Hanohano’s wife, Emily, recently launched a Mālama Maui Fire Relief to assist the youngest Maui residents.

The Drive is aimed to assist Maui families with infants who were affected by the wildfires and help those who really need it. Although there are many donation drives to help Maui residents, this one focuses on baby item donations.

Hanohano, born and raised in Hawaii, felt the need to take action as soon as he could once he heard about the wildfires. His wife, Emily, who is originally from Maui, felt a connection with those in need. “Working at Saint Louis is a good resource to reach out to other individuals who might want to give back and help out as well,” shares Hanohano.  By using this great resource, Hanohano and his wife, along with Tauaese, initiated the baby drive.

With a lot of donation drives around the state and other parts of the world, Hanohano and his wife, who have four kids of their own, immediately thought about those families with infants and have lost everything. “It’s expensive in Hawaii, and to provide for our kids and to lose everything in a matter of hours it’s devastating,” explains Hanohano.  This is what really set off a “green light” for them to get started and have an effect on the community.

SLS students continue to volunteer to support the collection.

“When our community, island, or state is in need, everyone immediately stepped in and stepped up to help in any capacity,” shares Emily Hanohano. She hopes that this will open the eyes of, not only those in Hawaii but the rest of the world, who have traveled to the Garden Isle.  Emily Hanohano is focusing on spreading the “Aloha Spirit”.

With the wildfires making national headlines, this was a way to shine a light on our culture and show that we support each other here in Hawaii. “Even though we may not know the people personally that have been impacted and we may not truly understand or relate to what they’ve been through or have gone through,” adds Emily Hanohano.  “This drive is just another way that we can show that we support them and we have their back.” The Mālama Maui Fire Drive will still be accepting donations through December to bring them some holiday spirit. In November, they are hoping to receive some “holiday theme food, something along the lines of Thanksgiving meals, anything that we can send up to them so they can have a somewhat of a holiday meal together,” says Hanohano, “and [in] December, some toys and clothes to still have a holiday – Christmas and New Year.” 

“For the second semester, our Student Activities are planning a Malama Maui, like a Maui benefit concert and more details for that will come out when they are approved,” notes Tauaese.

Drive Coordinators and Teachers, Geordon Hanohano and Activities Coordinator, Teuila Tauaese are pictured with school community volunteers.

There are many opportunities for people to become involved in supporting Maui’s keiki. “Other ways that people can get involved to positively impact our Saint Louis Ohana,” adds Tauaese, “ [is] to get involved with various clubs we have on campus….  Any club that fosters genuine brotherhood and that fosters community service.”

“This wasn’t something that my husband and I were doing to get any recognition for. We both felt a strong desire to help, not only because it’s my home island but because we both felt that God was calling us to do something,” says Emily Hanohano. The Hanohanoʻs saw people in need and decided to make a positive impact. 

For those who are also a part of the Crusader ohana, these are the characteristics of the “Saint Louis Man,” which are taught to us, so when we get into the real world it becomes second nature for students.  As an alumni, Geordan Hanohano, who graduated from Saint Louis in 2008, is just one of many answering the call to action. “Be thankful and grateful for your life, your home, and especially your family,” adds Emily Hanohano, “because you never know when your situation can change.”