The Collegian

• The Voice of Kalaepōkahu

The Collegian

The Collegian

Polls

Would you ever consider joining the L.I.F.E. Team?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Coach William Remsen revives Saint Louis Lacrosse

Senior Kaimana Henriques defends the goal against a Konawaena player.

Lacrosse is the “newest kid on the block” in Crusader sports. William Remsen is the coach of the revived Saint Louis Lacrosse Club team that was originally started by John Keogh in 2016. 

Last year, Remsen was able to rally enough players for a team consisting of only Crusaders. Beforehand, there was a Crusaders Lacrosse Club team that consisted of mostly Saint Louis students, but Kaiser and other schools as well.

Remsen spoke on what he wanted to do with the program: “The purpose of starting a lacrosse program here was to provide our guys with the same opportunities that were given to me as a kid and to introduce them to this incredible sport.” 

He believes that lacrosse can easily be tied to how Saint Louis students are taught to put their best foot forward for God. “Each time we play, we honor the Creator by playing with respect, creativity and of course playing the hardest and best we can each and every day.”

Remsen’s prayers have already been answered, as he was able to put his first player in the collegiate level. Class of 2023 alumni, Luke Mclain, signed his Letter of Intent last year with the Colorado State Men’s Lacrosse team and is currently enrolled as a freshman. Remsen played a huge part in Luke’s success, building upon a strong foundation that he already had. This is just the start of Remsen’s vision for his players. “This upcoming graduating class, we already have a few players in contact with coaches at the next level.” One of these players is Kawika Anderson.

Anderson is not your typical experienced lacrosse player, but a growing passion for the game has put him in a fortunate position for his future. “I remember getting cut from the basketball team and looking for a sport to play, and that’s when I heard about lacrosse signups,” said Anderson. “I’d never touched a stick or even seen a game before that.” Now he is one of the team’s leaders and is spreading awareness of the sport. Before lacrosse, college was not in his plans. However, after developing into a strong player and a promising prospect, Anderson wants to play at the collegiate level. Florida State ranks among the top of his list of target schools.

Another senior leader on the team that is looking to play college lacrosse is Kaimana Henriques. He is another player who does not have much experience with the sport, but has fallen in love with lacrosse and is now looking to attend Colorado State to play with Luke Mclain. Henriques is a very hard worker, who puts in the time and effort to get the result he wants. He is one of the team’s best defensive players, using his size to his advantage. “Some goals of mine when it comes to lacrosse is to keep improving on the field and become the best defensive player in the state,” says Henriques. He also wants to help Coach Remsen expand the program.

Coach Remsen is now opening up the sport to an intermediate level of play. This will result in younger students learning how to play from a young age which could ultimately teach them the game faster and learn how to play as a team. 

Remsen believes that Crusader lacrosse players have the potential to make a global mark on the sport. “Something monumental just happened for the sport of lacrosse, it was added to the 2028 LA Olympics,” says Remsen. “You never know, in five years you may just see a Crusader representing the stars and stripes on the world’s biggest stage.”