The Collegian

• The Voice of Kalaepōkahu

The Collegian

The Collegian

Polls

Would you ever consider joining the L.I.F.E. Team?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Senior Crusader Athletes sign “Letter of Intent” with Major Universities

Seniors Yamaguchi (University of Nevada-Reno) and Chun (Tulane University) celebrate with Mid-Pac players at the recent “Signing Day” event.

Senior Crusaders Sean Yamaguchi, Tanner Chun, and Tyler Tamayori recently committed and signed their “Letters of Intent” at a Fall Signing Ceremony to play their prospective sports at the collegiate level.

All three established themselves as premiere student-athletes and have signed with some of the top schools nationwide. Yamaguchi has committed to the University of Nevada, Reno, and Chun will attend Tulane University to play baseball. Tamayori committed to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University to play golf.

The three have embraced their accomplishments of making it to the next level and are highly confident that they have made the right decision about where to attend for the next four years.   “I felt that Nevada was the right fit for me because it’s going to give me the best opportunity to develop as an athlete, but more importantly [as] a person,” said Yamaguchi. “They have great people there that will make sure I succeed.” 

Tamayori (Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University) is pictured with his parents on “Signing Day.”

“I wanted to attend a school with my Major, and Aeronautical science was the main reason because I would like to be a pilot in the future,” said Tamayori. Not only did our Crusader brothers base their decision on sports but from an academic standpoint as well. “The academics and the baseball program stood out in my decision,” said Chun.

The recruiting process can be complex for most student-athletes, but each school’s coaching staff significantly impacted their decision. Yamaguchi was approached early on by the Nevada coaching staff. “They pushed hard for me really early,” said Yamaguchi. “They made me feel wanted and that was a big plus.” 

Tamayori had a fantastic experience with the staff at Embry-Riddle. His experience with them played a crucial role in making his decision. “They were very helpful to me in the recruiting process and showed me around campus,” said Tamayori. He was very pleased with their hospitality and support.

Each student-athlete is excited about what lies ahead as they begin the next chapter of their lives. “It feels good knowing that my baseball career is going past high school,” shares Chun, “and [being] able to show what Hawaii baseball is all about,” He hopes to create his legacy as an outstanding baseball player for Tulane with exceptional character on and off the field.

Yamaguchi is proud to attend a fantastic Nevada program and fulfill his goal of playing Division I baseball. “What they are trying to do at Nevada are big and great things,” said Yamaguchi. “I am super stoked [that] I can be a part of that next year.”

Tamayori is excited about experiencing a new place with new people. “I am most excited about traveling to another state and making new friends in college,” said Tamayori. He is also eager to participate in nationwide tournaments, including one in Hawaii. “The team will also be playing several new tournaments… in Puerto Rico, Las Vegas, and California,” explains Tamayori.

These Crusaders will be well prepared for what comes next at the collegiate level through the mentoring and coaching here at Saint Louis. They have been well-groomed in their game and academics and have the full support of the Saint Louis Ohana.