The Collegian

• The Voice of Kalaepōkahu

The Collegian

The Collegian

Polls

Would you ever consider joining the L.I.F.E. Team?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Journey to the Wrestling State Championship

The Saint Louis Wrestling team has a shot at taking it all in this year’s State Tournament with the help of last year’s State Champ, Sophomore Hunter Berger, and State Finalist Senior Kaihi Cobb Adams. Head Coach KJ Pascua says, “The coaching staff is committed to growing as much as we hope wrestlers are.” 

With the state tournament closing in, the wrestling team has been training extra hard these past few weeks. With only two weeks until the tournament, there’s only a little time for wrestlers to grow physically; now it’s just drilling what you know and what you’re good at. At this point in the season, it’s just maintaining your work ethic. “You just have to believe you’re the best and have confidence in your wrestling abilities,” said Berger.

Wrestling is both physically and mentally challenging. In the next two weeks, wrestlers are also focusing on their mental health. Cobb-Adams said, “I became more mentally strong and more confident in myself, telling myself I could do it and trying to get myself to work harder and work stronger than last year.” With wrestling being physically demanding, it puts a lot of stress on the mental health of the athlete, which is why Coach KJ trains his wrestlers to be resilient mentally. Pascua said, “Mentally, I continually push my students to be better and reach higher goals. When they have hit a good level as an individual, I will add to their plate.” 

Having taken third for the past two years, the Crusaders are itching to bring home that koa. Putting in the extra hours, building our community, and exercising our discipline has been difficult at times, but it is part of our goal to become a strong and solid team. To the outside, it may sound easy, but without teamwork and discipline, there is no success, and that has been our true mantra and commitment to the sport of wrestling. Cobb-Adam advises other wrestlers “to push yourself and to work hard because only hard work can get you to where you want to be, and once you get up to that stage, don’t be nervous and just believe in yourself.”