The Collegian

• The Voice of Kalaepōkahu

The Collegian

The Collegian

Polls

Would you ever consider joining the L.I.F.E. Team?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Crusader Track Team mentor Keiki Crusaders on the track

The Catholic Schools League (CSL) Track and Field 2024 season has kicked off with a bang, showcasing inspiring performances. It’s not just about running fast or jumping high. It’s about older athletes helping younger athletes grow and become better gentlemen, a testament to the success of our program.  

CSL Track includes grades four through six and has some fantastic volunteers from the Varsity level track and field team.  Leading the Track & Field program is Coach Alika Fonseca, a beacon of mentorship for our younger Crusaders.  “You take varsity kids who are good at something and have them teach younger kids what they know,” explains Fonseca.  He’s proud that older athletes with lots of experience teach the younger ones, setting an excellent example for all.

Sophomore sprinter Jahren Altura has taken on the role of mentor.  “Helping others makes me a better leader and role model for the kids,” says Altura.  He loves being a mentor because he wants to help younger and learn what it’s like to be a coach.

The reaction from the younger Crusaders has been nothing short of inspiring.  Rayce-Lokahi Akiona, a fourth grader, feels accomplished when the varsity Crusaders show him how to do things better. “They teach me how to run and give me tips,” says Akiona.  Akiona’s love for running 800 meters during warm-up has grown, as he now strives to beat his own time, a clear testament to the positive impact of mentorship in our program.

As the CSL Track & Field team continues to grow, with the support of the Varsity track stars, younger Crusader athletes are developing their athletic abilities, learning to be better teammates, and never giving up.