The Collegian

• The Voice of Kalaepōkahu

The Collegian

The Collegian

Polls

Would you ever consider joining the L.I.F.E. Team?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Crusader Basketball bids a fond Aloha to its Seniors

As the Basketball season ends, the Saint Louis Crusaders celebrate with Senior Nights, a night to remember those players from Class 2024 at the last home game of the season.  

The Varsity 1 Crusaders played their Senior Night game on January 20th vs. the Mid-Pacific Institute Owls. The Varsity D1-AA Crusaders played their Senior Night game on February 1st vs. The Kamehameha Warriors D1-AA. 

Senior Nights are not just about the game; they celebrate the players’ journey. ‘We took a Senior Walk with our Parents and captured our last Senior Shot,’ reminisces Varsity 1 Senior Jiovanni Ramos.  All the Seniors from both teams were acknowledged on their respective Senior Nights.  ‘ Tonight was the pinnacle of my season,’ shares Varsity 1-AA Senior Blaize Arakawa. ‘Seeing my family, friends, and everyone rallying behind us was truly incredible.’

The Class of 2024 has left an indelible mark on both teams, particularly the Varsity 1-AA, which will undergo significant changes next year. ‘Their departure will be deeply felt, as they were instrumental in securing the Championship D-1AA trophy in their Junior year,’ D1-AA Coach David O’Connor acknowledges. 

Basketball at Saint Louis is more than a sport for these Seniors.  “Basketball taught me that nothing is gonna be given to you,” Ramos states. “You’re gonna have to work for everything you want in life.”  Relationships and bonds have been built through the love of basketball as well. “I learned that the Brotherhood is stronger than anything else in the world and that the coaches respect you,” Arakawa explains.  The players and coaches hope to instill knowledge in their players. “I encourage them by just doing the right thing,” O’Connor says. “The principles you’ve learned at Saint Louis are awesome and proven true over time, so trust them.”

Senior Night allows the players and coaches to reflect on the memories they have made while playing for Saint Louis Basketball. From traveling to places like “Going to Japan this past November,” Ramos exclaims, to winning various championships like “Winning the D1-AA Championship Last Year,” O’Connor says, the memories made on and off the basketball court will continue with the players and coaches forever. 

To end the night, all their friends, family, teammates, and coaches are given Lei’s to Congratulate the Seniors for their hard work and dedication to the sport they love.