The Collegian

• The Voice of Kalaepōkahu

The Collegian

The Collegian

Polls

Would you ever consider joining the L.I.F.E. Team?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Crusader D1-AA are Back-to-Back Champs

Saint Louis High School is known for its incredible athletic achievements; this year, the basketball program is no exception. While the JV team dominates their division and the Varsity Division One squad clinches their third state championship in a row, there’s another team making waves in the program.

Under the guidance of Coach David O’Connor, the Saint Louis D1-AA basketball team has achieved something incredible: back-to-back championships making school history. Coach O’Connor shared his thoughts on this incredible journey and the hard work that led to this moment.

Reflecting on the season, Coach O’Connor shared his insight about how much the program has grown. He acknowledged the whole team’s effort but gave a special shout-out to the players, calling them “the true driving force.” While everyone else showed support, the players’ dedication and skills on the court sealed the deal. 

One of these players, senior and team captain Hayden Hanneman, shares that his success comes from the coaches and the parents. Hanneman recognizes the critical role of the parents because “no matter what, they were by our side cheering us on and feeding us.” Hanneman also believes that Coach O’Connor played a huge role in his success because “after every bad game, he gave me tips and encouragement like “don’t put your head down” and “Don’t lift weights on a game day.”  

After two championships, Coach O’Connor highlights the team’s trust in one another and their unity as secret weapons. Players knew their roles, followed the game plan perfectly, and always put the team first, showing how disciplined they were to win.

Looking ahead, Coach O’Connor shares some inspiring words for the seniors leaving and the juniors coming up: “Whether heading to college or starting their careers, appreciate your parents’ support and carry on the values you learned at Saint Louis School.”

As the Saint Louis School basketball team celebrates its back-to-back championships, Coach O’Connor’s leadership will continue to inspire more athletes to join the team and keep the winning tradition alive.