Crusaders Come up Big at Officials

Ansen Ursua starts off on top of his opponent.

Kainalu Reyes Hackney, Sports Writer

The officials tournament attracts wrestlers from around the state to Leilehua High School. Here, they compete against the best in the state, with only six placers in each weight class. The Crusader dominated the tournament, but fell short, placing second in the state by 8 points. This was largely due to several wrestlers not being able to participate. This is huge for the team, as they look to take the state championship this year for the first time since 2002.

Senior Tyler Ibarra holds his opponent in a pin.

Senior Corey Cabanban finished first in the 126 weight-class, defeating his opponent 15-7. This is his fourth consecutive year placing first at officials, adding to his impressive résumé. Not only was Cabanban wrestling for a title but so were three other Saint Louis wrestlers in Kayson Kekahuna, Dominic Tominiko, and Ansen Ursua. Kekahuna won by default due to an injury to his opponent, but was winning the match in the third period by 1 point before the injury. Tominiko and Ursua both wrestled hard until the end but came up short against very tough opponents.

Sophomore Elijah Ka’awa and freshman Branson Magsayo who are arguably two of the best wrestlers in their respective weight classes, were not able to finish the tournament. Ka’awa did not make weight on the second day of the tournament, forcing him to forfeit his semifinal and third place match. Magsayo did not wrestle in the tournament at all due to a sickness the day of the tournament. Both wrestlers could have definitely changed the outcome of who won the boys overall standings.

Boltyn Tam, Koali Nishigaya, Tyler Ibarra, and Kalae Correa are some sleepers that many have not paid attention to. All of them have placed in the officials tournament before, and are looking to make a huge impact for the team. The state tournament will begin February 14th at the Blaisdell Arena where the Crusaders look to win it all.