Fine Arts assembly celebrates student creative expression

Saint Louis School recently celebrated its Fine Arts program with an assembly. The school had not celebrated these programs since its last assembly in the Fall  of 2019.

The Fine Arts Assembly is an important part of Saint Louis School. Many schools are losing their fine arts programs, but the Crusaders are keeping its long standing tradition to celebrate the Arts with an assembly, promoting the various Fine Arts programs the school has to offer.

“There should be a nice break from the core daily classes,” explains Art instructor, Mike Amerino, “to have a student do good and express themselves in a different manner.” Many agree that the importance of expression and creative output is important for the development and success of students. 

“Our emphasis as a Marianist school is to produce well-rounded graduates,” explains Teuila Tauaese, one of the organizers of this year’s Fine Arts Assembly. “The Arts Assembly is important,” adds Tauaese, “because the Arts are a way to express all of the gifts that God has given us and to celebrate and to show our gratitude for those gifts.”

It has been three years since the last Art Assembly, due to health concerns and restrictions from the Covid-19 Pandemic, so students and faculty are excited to finally have another Arts Assembly. “I feel it’s great to see what is out there, to highlight the other subjects that we do have in this school,” shared Mr. Amerino, “especially to kinda show off that the teachers show off what they have been teaching the whole semester, also to show students what the electives are so they can kinda get a better grasp of what they may want to take for their elective. ” 

Many Saint Louis faculty agree that the Fine Arts Assembly is a time of joy and expression, for students to take their minds off of their core classes. “It’s very important that we celebrate the accomplishments of all of our students,” notes Tauaese. “Saint Louis men are not only defined by their physical ability, but by their mental ability, their emotional capacity, and the Arts assembly is definitely a way to not only exhibit that, but it’s a way to celebrate all of those other abilities that our gentlemen possess.”