The Collegian

• The Voice of Kalaepōkahu

The Collegian

The Collegian

Polls

Would you ever consider joining the L.I.F.E. Team?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Fine Arts Show celebrates the ‘Aina

Sea+Turtle
“Sea Turtle”

The Saint Louis Art Show has returned to Kalaepōhaku, showcasing the Fine Arts program at Saint Louis School.  This year, parents and the local community listened to a melodic performance by the Saint Louis Orchestra in Mamiya Theatre and attended a gallery showing featuring pieces from the Ceramics and Art classes.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, the Art Show was unable to resurface as an annual event on campus until now.  This year, the Art Show has triumphantly returned, bringing back a sense of community and providing a platform for students to showcase their talents. 

Fine Arts Department Chair and teacher Micheal Amerino shared that this event displays the creativity and hard work of the Crusaders, with the purpose “to highlight the boys and all the hard work the young gentlemen do in the Arts, not only indigenous but also in the fine arts.” The annual event showcases students’ artistic talents and works throughout the year. 

It’s been almost seven years since the last Saint Louis Art Show, and its return reflects the students’ hard work and dedication. While the orchestra performed music, the ceramics and art classes displayed the sculptures and pieces they worked on since the beginning of the year. 

“Yellow Hibiscus”

Each year, the Art Show focuses on a specific theme.  This year’s Art show displayed pieces inspired by the environment, artistically expressing each student’s creative view of the ‘aina.  Students sculpted various ceramic pieces using clay, including sculptures of indigenous flora and fauna, such as the Yellow Hibiscus and Sea Turtle.

Trhijton Setik, a senior ceramics student, enjoyed participating in the Art Show for the first time. He spoke about how the course changed him as a learner. “It challenged me to be more creative and precise with the little details rather than rushing through them,” shared Setik, “…influencing me to be patient and more careful with the things that I do.” 

Preparing for the Art Show throughout the year helped Setik and other students be persistent and develop a positive work ethic, teaching the young men to complete their sculptures over time and pushing through any challenges throughout the year.  Many students, like Setik, will use these positive experiences as they embark on future endeavors. 

Setik offers some advice to future art show participants, urging students “to not give up since there will be bumps in the road, to be persistent and see your piece to the end because you will be proud of what you completed.” 

The Saint Louis Art Show continues to impact the students positively and is received very well by the local and Saint Louis School communities.  Guests not only enjoyed the opportunity to view the art created by our students, but as Amerino adds, “The community was also able to experience our orchestra, which also performed as part of the Art Show, displaying to the community the fine arts that we offered.”