The Collegian

• The Voice of Kalaepōkahu

The Collegian

The Collegian

Polls

Would you ever consider joining the L.I.F.E. Team?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Next Generation Crusaders take on the Annual Turkey Trot

The annual Turkey Trot is another way to foster “the Brotherhood” and promote physical activity among younger Crusaders.

There are so many neat and interesting events year-round at Saint Louis School. One of many is the annual Turkey Trot, hosted by Track and Field Head Coach and fourth-grade teacher Alexander Fonseca.

Along with all the amazing events held at Saint Louis one of the biggest, especially for elementary students is the Turkey Trot. This event is “fun, you run a lap around the track with your grade level or class,” explains Fonseca. “If you win you have bragging rights for a year.” 

Current Athletic Director Gerald Welch founded the annual Turkey Trot so that the “keiki have an idea of how to be active during the holidays,” shares Fonseca. “A lot of kids and families eat a lot of food and spend a lot of time and with all of that intake, it’s still important for kids to have a healthy lifestyle.” 

The Turkey Trot is a special experience for both elementary/high school students and teachers, it has a unique way of bringing everyone together through one of the six “A’s” (Athletics). “Just like all things at St. Louis, the spirit of the brotherhood impacts anything competitive,” says Fonseca. 

Coach Fonseca every year, especially this year is inspired by “how much the elementary students love the track kids.” He would also like to give a special thanks to “The Crusaders Track team, they went out there and gave those kids so much motivation, they love seeing their younger generation succeed.” adds Fonseca  

Jahren Altura, a Sophomore Track and Field athlete, Turkey Trot leader, and former Turkey Trot champion believes that the Turkey Trot “helps spark an interest in the younger kids to run track and take your health seriously and also helps make the kids more competitive,” expresses Altura. “it’s great for us the older ones because it helps us become better leaders and role models.” Altura also adds “I think the environment has gotten better since the time I ran especially because of the new track”

Josiah Fetui, a Senior Track and Field athlete, and 3rd-grade leader was impressed and thought that “The energy and vibes during the trot were fantastic.” Fetui noticed that “everyone was supportive of the kids running, and the kids running were encouraged by what we were saying.” 

Fifth Grader Kingston Kegawa has been nothing short of spectacular the past two years winning the Turkey Trot both in his fourth and fifth-grade year. Kegawa feels great about his races stating “It felt good because I got to win last year and I got to win this year.” Kegawa also added, “It felt good because everyone knows I’m fast.” Following his great success the past two years, Kegawa plans to run with Coach Fonseca this year in CSAL Track and Field and plans on dominating his competition!