The Collegian

• The Voice of Kalaepōkahu

The Collegian

The Collegian

Polls

Would you ever consider joining the L.I.F.E. Team?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

From Crusader Track Star to Army Ranger

At Saint Louis School, Vu Nguyen is known for his expertise in the track field, where he shows great dedication and leadership. No one could have predicted that his path would diverge from an anticipated collegiate track career to military duty.

Alika Fonseca, Nguyen’s high school track coach, spoke about the journey Nguyen has taken on the Crusader track team. “Vu was a hard worker. He did everything he could to get better,” said Fonseca. From the beginning, when the sport didn’t come naturally to him, Nguyen’s dedication lifted him to the top, marking some memorable moments for the whole team. One unforgettable experience was when he led the team in the long jump and brought home silver in the state championship.

When Nguyen announced he wouldn’t be going into college for track but instead enlisted in the military, it surprised many around. “The military is critical, and sometimes the aspects that we learn in track and field can be translated into defending our country,” says Fonseca

When asked about his transition to military life, Nguyen detailed the physical and mental challenges he went through in ranger school. “During ranger school, some of my memorable moments was rucking for at least 12 miles every day. But I was able to overcome these obstacles by perseverance and not giving up,” said Nguyen. For him, the training at Saint Louis School, where he developed the spirit of working hard and being resilient built him for military training.

But Nguyen does not regret anything. “I don’t have any regrets at all because I believe that everything that happened so far is for a reason,” he shares. The journey Nguyen has taken from track star to army ranger bears witness to the changing power of dedication and determination and will continue to inspire existing and future students. Despite other obstacles, they can chase their dreams with unrelenting ambitions.