The Collegian

• The Voice of Kalaepōkahu

The Collegian

The Collegian

Polls

Would you ever consider joining the L.I.F.E. Team?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Crusader Class of 2024 is ready to take on Adulthood

Graduating senior, Kala’i Kealoha, plans to continue his musical career and study sound engineering.

Arguably the most persevering class in recent history, the Class of 2024 continues to inspire the spirit, pride, and “the brotherhood” that is the quintessential Crusader.  Having dealt with a global pandemic and the baggage that it brought, many wondered if this class had what it takes. However, this senior class has gone above and beyond to leave a lasting legacy on the slopes of Kalaepōhaku. 

The Class of 2024 is entering graduation season and inching closer to the finish line. There is a lot going on for this group after they walk across the stage at the Neal S. Blaisdell Arena. Just under a dozen of the soon-to-be graduates are aspiring airline pilots. This is an all-time high for a Saint Louis graduating class, and a big part of that is attributed to Mr. John McIntyre’s Civil Air Patrol class.

One senior to highlight in particular from this bunch is Tyler Tamayori. Tamayori is one of the most successful golfers to come out of Saint Louis School in recent history. Although he came up just short of a state title, he was able to garner the ILH championship. Tamayori’s accolades have taken the golf program to new heights. He has signed his National Letter of Intent to continue his golfing career at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (Prescott Campus). While the ultimate goal for him is to earn a spot on the PGA Tour, Tamayori is studying to become a pilot if it doesn’t work out. 

Hayden Hannemann, another senior Crusader, reminds everyone that it is okay not to have everything figured out yet. Hannemann is unsure what he wants to study but knows what he wants to do. “I want to become a physical trainer,” says Hannemann. “Lifting weights has always been one of my passions. I love going to the gym with my older brothers. I’ve made tremendous progress with my fitness goals and am proud of myself. I feel that if I become a physical trainer and help people reach their goals, it won’t feel like work.” Hannemann will be attending the University of Hawai’i (Manoa campus) and is considering kinesiology or exercise science. 

While many seniors will be attending four-year universities, Crusaders will also attend junior and community colleges. Kala’i Kealoha is one of two seniors planning to attend a community college. I will be going to Honolulu Community College,” shares Kealoha. “I will be attending their lovely campus as I am enrolled in their MELE Program and studying for an Associate’s in sound engineering and business.” Kealoha is also the lead singer of the rising music group Hui Pū. He has put significant time and effort into creating music. Kealoha expressed how it would have been difficult to continue working with his band if he had gone away for college: “Yes, I would say that we are not Hui Pū if any one of us is missing.” Kealoha wants to share his music with the local community and looks forward to gaining global recognition. 

Kealoha thanks his teachers and classmates for pushing him at Saint Louis School. Saint Louis has taught me to not only strive to always be the best version of myself but also for my family and the Crusader brotherhood that I am proud to be a part of. I’ve learned the different values of what it means to be a gentleman as well.”

Andrew Cashman will attend Northern Arizona University in the Fall of 2024.

Andrew Cashman is one of many seniors who plan to explore opportunities outside of Hawai’i. However, wanting to be closer to home influenced him to apply to West Coast universities.  “I committed to Northern Arizona University,” explains Cashman. “My other options were the University of Hawaii, Washington State University, Colorado State University, and Grand Canyon University.”  Although Cashman will miss the sunny beaches, local food, and beautiful weather on Oahu, he wants to experience life independently. “I ended up choosing NAU over UH because I wanted to experience something new, going to the mainland. I wanted to see new things and have new opportunities. I also wanted to see how life would be on my own compared to going to UH and still being with family.” He is currently deciding between a business degree and psychology. 

Cashman is grateful to the Saint Louis community for accepting him with open arms during his ninth-grade year. He was able to take advantage of the dual enrollment partnership between Saint Louis School and Chaminade University of Honolulu. Cashman has earned a head start in college but wishes he could’ve gone further. “I wish that Saint Louis offered a program where I could get my associate’s degree from Chaminade while I am getting my high school diploma,” he said. With many improvements on the horizon for Saint Louis School, this could be something to look forward to in the future. 

The 2024 Crusaders will be a class that goes down in history. Being responsible for getting the school back out of the darkness of the COVID-19 Pandemic, as well as helping start up the May Day competition. This senior class will be remembered as a fun and energetic group of young men.

College and career counselor Keenan Meyer (Class of 2013) offers the young men a piece of advice as they soar to new heights. “For my seniors, my advice is to enjoy the process. Be willing and open to meeting new people. Get involved as early as you can in things, especially if you’re going away,” says Meyer. “The Saint Louis School community will always be here back home with open arms. Be mindful and faithful.”