Featured Teacher: February

Featured Teacher: February

“It’s good to have a plan with what you want to do with your life, but keep your mind open to something that moves your spirit.”

— Mr. Kakuno

Mr. Kakuno earned an award: featured teacher for February. He has helped run Mamiya theater and all the plays that go on in there, while also assisting students to think differently. Growing up He went to Mckinley High School and wanted to be a psychologist and work in clinical psychology. He wanted to understand the way that humans think. After High School, Mr. Kakuno went to the University of Hawaii at Manoa and studied psychology at first, but then found his love for theater and drama which is what he switched his major too.

Mr. Kakuno was a professional actor who was in multiple plays. He starred was in “kabuki” which is a Japanese play. Japanese Opera and Shakespeare are other things that he was involved in. He then went on to do children’s theater, but because of injury, he became a teacher.

His first year of teaching was in 2000 at Saint Louis School. Since 2000 he has been challenging the minds of his students and allowing them to think differently and go against what is normal. Currently, he teaches Stagecraft, and this class allows the students to see the different things that go on inside of plays and dramas. When asked if he had any advice for the seniors he said: “It’s good to have a plan with what you want to do with your life, but keep your mind open to something that moves your spirit.”